Roger Steinert, MD, a pioneer of cataract surgical techniques, excimer laser refractive surgery, and corneal transplantation, died on Tuesday at the age of 66 after a battle with glioblastoma.
At the time of his dealth, Dr. Steinert was the Irving H. Leopold Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology and founding director of the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute.
According to his biography on the University of California Irvine1 and American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)2 web sites, Dr. Steinert holds numerous prestigious awards for advancing eye care, including being named one of America’s top ophthalmologists by Becker’s ASC Review and receiving in 2008 the Barraquer Award, refractive surgery’s highest honor. The Academic Senate selected him for the Distinguished Faculty Award in Teaching in 2008-09. In 2009, he received a Life Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He was bestowed the Dohlman Award from The Cornea Society, which recognizes a lifetime of teaching excellence and contributions to the field of cornea and external disease.
Other awards Dr. Steinert has been honored with include:
• 2015 New England Ophthalmological Society (NEOS) Distinguished Achievement Award
• 2012 Presidential Recognition Award (International Society of Refractive Surgery)
• 2011 Poster of Interest Award (ASCRS)
• 2010 Best of Faculty Research Award (UC Irvine)
• 2010 Visionary Award (Foundation Fighting Blindness)
• 2009 Secretariat Award (American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
• 2008 Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching (UC Irvine)
He authored more than 120 publications and belonged to more than 20 professional societies, including president of ASCRS in 2005-2006.
Dr. Steinert attended Harvard University, where he graduated Summa cum Laude in 1973, and received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1977. From 1978 to 1981, he was a resident at Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary.
1. UCI Faculty Profile System. https://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5664. Accessed June 7, 2017.
2. American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. https://www.ascrs.org/about-ascrs/roger-f-steinert. Accessed June 7, 2017.