Johnson & Johnson Vision announced new data from a study of its Acuvue Oasys with Transitions Light Intelligent Technology, which found the benefits of these first-of-its-kind light adaptive contact lens were deemed highly valued and useful by people who had never wore contact lenses, and that nearly all of the study participants preferred the Acuvue Oasys with Transitions contact lenses as part of their habitual vision correction, according to a company news release.
Acuvue Oasys with Transitions contact lenses quickly and seamlessly adapt to changing light conditions from morning to night, indoors and out, filtering blue light¨ and blocking harmful UV rays for a superior visual performance, according to J&J Vision.
The study was comprised of people who wore glasses but had never used contact lenses. Participants wore the Acuvue Oasys with Transitions as daily wear for 4 weeks, replacing the lens after 2 weeks, then returned to wearing their habitual spectacles for 1 week. They then completed a questionnaire that asked them to compare their experiences between wearing Acuvue Oasys with Transitions and their usual glasses.
The key findings from their responses include:
- 95% of patients would recommend Acuvue Oasys with Transitions to others
- 92% of patients preferred to use Acuvue Oasys with Transitions or in some combination with their spectacles
- 87% said they were more likely to try contact lenses now based on their experience with Acuvue Oasys with Transitions compared to the past
- 86% said their day was less disrupted by light when wearing Acuvue Oasys with Transitions
- 80% said Acuvue Oasys with Transitions fit their busy lifestyle
“This study revealed that spectacle-only wearers are not only interested in wearing contact lenses, but that they also benefit from the light-reducing properties of the study contact lenses,” John R. Buch, OD, MS, FAAO, and Senior Principal Research Optometrist at Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Inc. who conducted the study, said in the news release. “The fact that we saw such a high percentage of participants prefer these new contact lenses is surprising, and indicative of the wide array of benefits that ACUVUE OASYS with Transitions offer beyond vision correction.”
Additional notable findings from the study participants include:
- 53% reported that they had better vision in changing lighting conditions
- 60% recorded that they had better vision outdoors than with their spectacles alone
- 66% said they were less bothered by bright light
- 62% said that they had less squinting
- 71% would recommend their eye care practitioner if they offered the lens
The investigation of the Acuvue Oasys with Transitions included a neophyte population to test the hypothesis that at least half of the patients would be successfully fitted with the lens in terms of physiology, mechanical fit, comfort, vision and handling of the test lens after four weeks of wear. This study was a 5-visit, single-arm, open label, bilateral dispensing study at 11 study sites in the United States involving 127 subjects.
The results of this new study were first shared by Dr. Buch at the American Academy of Optometry meeting (Academy 2019) in Orlando, Florida.