EyeQue announced it has raised $11.2 million in a Series B round from existing investors. The funds will be used to help the company on its mission to eliminate extraneous trips to the optometrist and make at-home vision testing a reality for people across the globe. EyeQue’s patented technology allows people to test their vision, check if they need vision correction, and use the results to order eyeglasses online. This Series B investment brings the total equity raised to date to $16.2 million.
“At-home vision testing has the potential to dramatically improve the well-being of millions of people worldwide,” Tibor Laczay, co-founder and CEO of EyeQue, said in a company news release. “Over 2.5 billion people across the globe need glasses and don’t have them – whether they don’t have access to solutions, can’t afford them, or may not even realize their vision is impaired due to lack of healthcare services. At-home vision testing is more necessary than ever, and this round of financing will enable us to further pursue our dream of making vision care accessible and affordable to everyone.”
EyeQue has developed two intelligent consumer vision solutions – the Insight and the Personal Vision Tracker – leveraging patented processing algorithms and optical technologies that present test results and track vision changes over time. These EyeQue devices are currently available and sold directly to consumers.
The EyeQue Insight visual acuity screener:
- Screens vision for 20/20 to 20/400 in about a minute, providing exact measures of single and dual eye performance
- Creates a digital vision history – where a change indicates that a doctor’s visit would be advised
- Tests the accuracy of current glasses or contacts, indicating when an updated prescription may be required
- Instantly records and securely stores results, making data available to share with others
- One EyeQue Insight can be shared with many, making it a value for families and suitable for testing large groups
The EyeQue Personal Vision Tracker:
- In-home, fully mobile refraction error test that measures nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism
- Order corrective eyewear from some of the largest retailers in the world (such as Zenni, EyeBuyDirect and Glasses USA) with the resulting EyeGlass Numbers™
- Patented EyeQue Cloud technology immediately processes results, returning spherical, cylindrical, and axis figures
- View your vision records anytime from your smartphone or computer – the results are stored securely in the cloud and are accessible from your EyeQue online dashboard
“We’ve challenged people to think differently about vision care and to take an active role in their eye health by introducing the world’s first smartphone enabled at-home vision tests. With our first-generation products, we’ve provided a way for people to test their vision, track changes, and even order new eyeglasses with their results,” said John Serri, PhD, co-founder and CTO of EyeQue. “With this infusion of capital, we will accelerate product development, service enhancements, and product launches.”
Dr. William H. Robinson, Professor of Medicine at Stanford University, has joined EyeQue’s Board of Directors. Dr. Robinson is a pioneer of innovative personal healthcare and will provide valuable insight and guidance to the team.
“I am excited to join the EyeQue Board and team in their quest to transform eye care, by enabling individuals to monitor and test their vision with affordable smartphone-enabled devices from the convenience of their homes,” said Dr. Robinson.