Euclid Systems has announced expansion of its leadership team. Joseph Boorady, OD, FAAO, appointed to the position of president and chief executive officer in January 2020, brings over 25 years of experience in the ophthalmic industry as an eye care professional, educational leader, entrepreneur and corporate executive, including previous posts as Vice President of Ocular Surface Disease at Johnson & Johnson Vision and President and CEO of TearScience.
“I am thrilled and honored to lead Euclid’s exceptional team, harnessing the company’s global culture and keen momentum in driving proactive myopia management,” Dr. Boorady said in a company news release. “Euclid understands that remaining at the forefront of growth in this field depends on people, which is why the company has focused significant effort on assembling a top-tier leadership team with the in-depth experience and successful achievements required to help more patients address their myopia management needs with our world class portfolio.”
If left untreated, myopia significantly increases the risk of more serious ocular health issues later in life.1 With almost 5 billion people expected to have myopia by 2050,3 the condition is predicted to become a leading cause of blindness worldwide.3 Myopia’s toll in China is about 450 million, or about 1 in 3 people.4 Euclid has enjoyed the company’s role as the number one imported orthokeratology lens brand in China, and its continued efforts will help expand its global reach.
Euclid’s hires over the last 6 months fill a variety of key roles:
- Barry A. Rhein, vice president of manufacturing, joins Euclid with over three decades of expansive experience in related positions. He was most recently vice president of global supply chain at Bausch+Lomb.
- Guanrong (Gary) Ding, vice president of sales, China, comes to Euclid from his positions as commercial director at Abbott Medical Optics and Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision. His notable sales and marketing career in medical devices spans over 25 years
- Jackson Lau, OD, FAAO, FSLS, manager of clinical and scientific affairs, is a cornea and contact lens residency-trained optometrist with clinical research experience. Prior to joining Euclid, he served as director of cornea and specialty contact lenses in a private practice.
- Jim Rackley, senior director, product engineering, has a demonstrated history working in the highly regulated medical device and aerospace industries. He previously lent his expertise as an engineer to the role of continuous improvement manager at Zimmer Biomet.
- Linda Chang, chief financial officer, is a seasoned financial professional with over 25 years of significant financial and operating experience in healthcare. Before joining Euclid, Linda was the chief financial and chief operating officer of Science and Medicine Group, a PE-backed healthcare insight company.
- Nitin Jain joined Euclid in August 2020 as global vice president of marketing,leading initiatives of upstream & downstream marketing, business development activity, and clinical & scientific affairs. He joined the Euclid team after serving as senior director of Johnson & Johnson Vision, where he led the global ACUVUE contact lens portfolio marketing team.
- Zhang (Neo) Zhixang, vice president of marketing, China, has joined Euclid from Essilor, where he was senior marketing director. Utilizing his strong marketing and strategic development skills, he successfully led initiatives in several vision care categories.
Euclid’s premier myopia technology, Euclid Emerald overnight orthokeratology lenses, help patients manage myopia, see clearly without the use of daytime glasses or contact lenses, and can potentially contribute to the decrease in progression to serious eye disease as they age.
- Wong TY, Ferreira A, Hughes R, Carter G, Mitchell P. Epidemiology and disease burden of pathologic myopia and myopic choroidal neovascularization: an evidence-based systematic review. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157:9–25.
- Vitale S, Sperduto RD, Ferris FL, 3rd. Increased Prevalence of Myopia in the U.S. between 1971-1972 and 1999-2004. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Dec;127(12):1632-9.
- Holden BA, Fricke TR, Wilson DA, Jong M, Naidoo KS, Sankaridurg P, Wong TY, Naduvilath TJ, Resnikoff S. Global Prevalence of Myopia and High Myopia and Temporal Trends from 2000 through 2050. Ophthalmology. May 2016;123(5):1036–1042.
- “Myopia Occurring Earlier: Specialist,” China Daily. June 7, 2018.