Coburn Technologies recently introduced several new products to the optometry market, including a new lensmeter, de-taper and cleaner, and lens generator.
Coburn introduced the HLM-1 Wavefront Analysis Technology, manufactured by Huvitz Co., Ltd. The HLM-1 was created to provide fast and accurate measurements on a cost-effective platform.
Features of the HLM-1 include:
• Hartmann Sensor Wavefront Analysis Technology with more measurement points than previous generations.
• Expanded prism measurement range up to 20Δ measuring from all directions of BU, BD, BI, BO.
• Wide range for measuring small or large (blank) lenses from diameters of 15mm to 120mm.
• Easily measures darkly-tinted or mirrored sunglasses by automatically amplifying the amount of light and calculating its refractive power without any manual configurations.
• Meets or exceeds the Medical Equipment Certificate, Class B standard
• Slim and compact design make it perfect for small spaces
• Auto lens recognition including single vision and progressive lenses
• Improved progressive (multifocal) lens measurement makes measuring fast and easy by simply moving the target and following the guides on the screen
• Bright and user-friendly user interface makes following each step stress-free
• 5.7” color and high resolution LCD screen features an anti-glare and hard coating produces sharp images and a scratch resistant screen.
• Enhanced camera performance provides faster responses when measuring refractive power and improved lens detection
• High speed (processing speed per frame: 65ms) with more frames per second (15FPS)
• Newly designed nose cone and lens support allows the user to measure smaller frame styles with ease
“The HLM-1’s excellent features make this lensmeter an excellent option for the eye care professional,” Bruno Yun, Senior Sales Application Engineer, said in a company news release. “We pride ourselves in offering affordable and reliable equipment while providing optimal service to customers especially after a
Duality Lens De-Taper and Cleaner
Coburn also introduced the Duality lens de-taper and cleaner.
“Duality is unlike any other machine on the market today,” Alex Incera, President of Coburn Technologies, said in the news release. “We have combined two crucial steps of lens processing into one machine, and have automated those processes in a cost effective and compact platform.”
Duality is built with a variety of key performance features, including:
• De-Taping Mechanism: Duality effectively removes surface saver tape off a broad variety of lens geometries and materials eliminating the labor associated with the traditionally manual process.
• Two-Sided Lens Cleaning: Clean lenses are critical to improving coating yields. Duality provides a thorough removal of all debris often found on a lens after surfacing – polish, tape adhesive and blocking materials. First, the lens is put through mechanical brush action cleaning, then a high pressure wash with detergent, followed by a rinse and dry.
• Fully Automated: Fed by a conveyor, the lens is automatically removed from the tray, de-taped, cleaned on both sides, and prepped for coating without manual intervention.
• Savings: The investment in Duality is easily justified with the labor savings usually applied to tape removal and lens cleaning, and is significantly lower than the cost of the competitive products.
• Small Footprint: At less than 12 ft2, this system has a significantly smaller footprint the size of the nearest competing products.
• Fast: Each of the three stations – tape removal, front side cleaning, and back side cleaning – completes its function in 20-30 seconds.
“With the introduction of Duality, we are expanding automation one step further in the lens production process. Duality, together with our Velocity automated coater, offers hands free processing from tape removal through cleaning and coating,” said Wendell Slone, Director of Coburn’s Lab Works Group.
Cobalt NX Lens Generator
Lastly, Coburn Technologies introduced their latest lens generator to the current Cobalt product line – Cobalt NX.
Key features of the Cobalt NX include:
• Enhanced Lens Quality: The quality of the lenses produced with the Cobalt NX is far superior to that of previous generators. Cobalt NX is designed for processing all indexes of lenses (1.498 to 1.74).
• Auto-Calibration: Manual calibration is still available for those customers wanting to
control this process, but for those who want an automated machine, the Cobalt NX introduces automatic calibration for more efficient and faster processing.
• On Board Engraving: Cobalt NX now brings engraving on to the machine, with capabilities to produce simple shapes and alphanumeric using the secondary axis. Now the need to purchase additional equipment is eliminated.
• Interrupted Cut: Interrupted cut brings a new feature to Coburn’s lens generators, which will be available on both the x- and v-axis. This eliminates the need for a granulator.
• Cold Mist/Dry Cut: With on-board cold mist/dry cut, the need for expensive waste management is removed.
“Cobalt NX brings next level lens generating techniques to our product line. We are also excited to say that this new generator is validated on several branded and non-branded freeform lens designs,” said Mr. Slone, Director of Coburn’s Lab Works Group.