Bausch + Lomb US Surgical Vice President and General Manager Chuck Hess distributed a letter to US ophthalmologists today providing an overview of B+L’s third quarter innovations, as well as a preview of activities the company has planned at AAO next week. These activities include, for the first time, a wet lab at the B+L booth (#3026) where surgeons will have the opportunity to “test drive” B+L products during 30-minute sessions. The letter is pasted below.
October 6, 2016
Dear Eye Care Professional:
The third quarter has been Bausch + Lomb’s busiest period of innovation yet this year. Over the past several months, we’ve launched six new products and made a number of enhancements to our robust portfolio as part of our constant effort to not only meet but also exceed the needs of our customers and their patients.
A Q3 Innovation Snapshot
In September, we introduced an enhanced version of our Pinnacle™ 360 line of single-use instruments, which now feature a new piston, redesigned to provide smooth, consistent actuation. We also invested in new technology to design a strong, thinner internal limiting membrane (ILM) forceps that provides excellent visualization, allowing you to see down to the tissue as you engage it. Additionally, all Pinnacle™ instruments are now color-coded according to Bausch + Lomb’s standard gauge size identification.
At the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) meeting in August, attendees learned about the new Illuminated Directional Laser Probe, the 27-gauge Directional Laser Probe and the first and only 27-gauge Diamond Dusted Membrane Scraper, as well as the updates made to our VersaVIT™ software.
In July, we announced the availability of the EZ-24 easy-load lens delivery system. Exclusively for use with the SofPort® Advanced Optics (AO) intraocular lens (IOL), the EZ-24 Easy-Load lens delivery system facilitates smooth and easy delivery of the SofPort® IOL through a 2.4mm incision.
In addition to these retina and cataract surgery innovations, Bausch + Lomb Storz®, long renowned for its exacting quality standards and cutting edge design, partnered with customers around the country to develop seven new instruments this year. These include five instruments for DMEK surgery designed in collaboration with pioneers of this procedure. You can find more information about these as well as other Storz® Instruments at Storzeye.com.
As you can see, the pace of innovation is unwavering, and we have plans to accelerate as we move into the final quarter. Stay tuned, as there is much more to come
A Sneak Peek at Q4: Exclusive Preview and the First Ever “#TestDriveBausch” at AAO
For first time, Bausch + Lomb is pleased to invite surgeons to take our products for a “test drive” at the Bausch + Lomb booth (#3026). During interactive 30-minute wet lab sessions, surgeons will gain real time, hands-on experience with our new products as well as with the VICTUS® femtosecond laser and many of the company’s intraocular lenses (IOLs) and delivery systems, which include the enVista®, Crystalens® AO, TRULIGN® Toric, and iSert® IOLs. Additionally, attendees will have the exclusive opportunity to “test drive” the Stellaris Elite™ platform, a next generation innovative model for both vitreoretinal and cataract surgery in a single system, anticipated to launch in 2017. There are still some appointments available; to schedule your #testdrivebausch, contact your Bausch + Lomb sales representative or visit testdrivebausch.com.
We also invite you to join us at our booth for a series of instructional courses led by a distinguished group of speakers.
The full schedule includes:
Saturday, October 15
- 1:00-2:00 p.m.: “Why I Choose Stellaris® Vision Enhancement System As My Phaco Machine of Choice” by I. Paul Singh, M.D.;
- 1:00-2:00 p.m.: “enVista® IOL: The Clearer Choice” by Anil Shivaram, M.D.;
- 2:00-3:00 p.m. “FLACS – A Glaucoma Specialist’s Perspective” by I. Paul Singh, M.D.;
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.: “A Novel Entry System for Posterior Surgery” by Brandon Busbee, M.D.
Sunday, October 16
- 10:00-11:00 a.m.: “Why I Choose Stellaris® Vision Enhancement System As My Phaco Machine of Choice” by Robert Weinstock, M.D.;
- 11:00-11:30 a.m.: “Corneal-Refractive Screening for the General Ophthalmologist” by Michael Endl, M.D.;
- 11:00 a.m.-Noon: “Performing 27ga. Posterior Surgery with Stellaris Elite® Platform” by Asheesh Tewari, M.D.;
- 11:30 a.m.-Noon: “Femtosecond LASIK Flap Pearls: Understanding Various Methods of Flap Creation and Management” by Michael Endl, M.D.;
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: “Crystalens® IOL/Trulign® IOL” Accommodating an Active Lifestyle” by Dee Stephenson, M.D.;
- 2:00-3:00 p.m.: “The Power of Venturi” by Farrell ‘Toby’ Tyson, M.D.
Monday, October 17
- 10:00-10:30 a.m.: “Corneal-Refractive Screening for the General Ophthalmologist” by Michael Endl, M.D.;
- 10:00-11:00 a.m.: “Advances in Posterior Illumination” by Sunil Srivastava, M.D.;
- 10:30-11:00 a.m.: “Femtosecond LASIK Flap Pearls: Understanding Various Methods of Flap Creation and Management” by Michael Endl, M.D.;
- 12:30-1:30 p.m.: “iSert® IOL: Innovation and Efficiency in Your Hand” by William Wiley, M.D.
Finally, on Sunday, Oct. 16 at 6:30 a.m. CST, join fellow ophthalmic professionals, donor family members and corneal transplant recipients for the 31st annual Run for Vision. This 5k benefit run/walk, which we’ve supported proudly for more than 30 years, helps raise awareness and support eye tissue donation on behalf of the Eye Bank Association of America (EBAA). For more information or to register, visit the Bausch + Lomb Booth (#3026) during the conference or click here by Thursday, Oct. 13.
As always, we are incredibly grateful for the relationships that we have with our customers, and thank you for the support and partnership you continue to offer us so graciously. Please reach out to me at any time at Chuck.Hess@bausch.com should you have any questions, concerns or ideas to share.
I look forward to seeing you in Chicago!
Vice President & General Manager
U.S. Surgical, Bausch + Lomb