Alcon has announced the availability of AcrySof IQ PanOptix UV IOL, AcrySof IQ PanOptix Toric UV IOL, AcrySof IQ Vivity UV IOL, and AcrySof IQ Vivity Toric UV IOL as part of the presbyopia-correcting lens portfolio in Canada.1 These next-generation IOLs provide ultraviolet (UV)-filtering hydrophobic protection for Canadians to help prevent UV damage and prolong vision health after cataract surgery. The new lenses add to the existing AcrySof IQ PanOptix and Vivity IOL portfolios, which currently offer lenses that filter both blue light and ultraviolet light.2-3
“We are very proud to add ultraviolet light-filtering intraocular lenses to our market-leading presbyopia-correcting IOL portfolio,” Brian O’Neal, General Manager of Alcon Canada, said in a company news release. “We developed these in response to surgeon feedback in Canada and are pleased we can expand this offering to both AcrySof PanOptix and Vivity lenses.”
Alcon Advanced Lenses are designed to correct cataracts, presbyopia, and astigmatism by providing a continuous range of vision and reducing the need for glasses or contact lenses after cataract surgery. Designed to help Canadians enjoy their daily activities, AcrySof IQ PanOptix IOLs provide exceptional visual performance at meaningful distances – for driving, working at a computer or looking at a smartphone – with increased spectacle independence.2 The first-of-its-kind AcrySof IQ Vivity IOLs use patented X-WAVE Technology to create an extended range of vision that provides distance, for playing sports, intermediate, for preparing meals, and functional near vision, for putting on makeup or reading a menu, with a monofocal-like visual disturbance profile.3
Following Health Canada approval in 2017 and 2020, Alcon debuted the AcrySof IQ PanOptix and Vivity lenses with Canadian ophthalmologists. Now in 2021, the AcrySof IQ PanOptix UV, PanOptix Toric UV, Vivity UV and Vivity UV Toric round out the offerings for Alcon Advanced Lenses.
- Market Scope Data, Q4 2020.
- AcrySof® IQ PanOptix® IOL Directions for Use.
- AcrySof® IQ Vivity® IOL Directions for Use.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Eye Institute (NEI), Eye Health Needs of Older Adults Literature Review, 2007. Available at: http://www.nei.nih.gov/nehep/research/The_Eye_Health_needs_of_Older_Adults_Literature_Review.pdf (link is external)
- Flaxman AS, et al. Global causes of blindness and distance vision impairment 1990-2020: asystematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Glob Health. 2017 Dec;5(12):e1221-e1234. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30393-5.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Cataracts in Adults: Management. Accessed September 2020.
- Mayo Clinic, Presbyopia. Accessed August 12, 2019. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/presbyopia/symptoms-causes/syc-20363328.